View Single Post
Unread 10/09/2018, 06:35 AM   #4490
Diana A
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
I'm now in control of my Ostreopsis dinoflagellate blooms.

This was accomplished with GFO being added or removed.
I had been having dinos in my reef tank for years.
First time this happened I took the GFO out and it took about two months for the dinos to vanish.
My findings got posted here, but people seemed to prefer to keep their heads in the sand.

Next time I added GFO in again I totally expected to have dinos showing up again and sure they did, but it took them around two months to get close to bloom levels.
I took the GFO out again and it took the same time for them to fade away. It's this delayed effect that makes it so difficult to spot GFO as a culprit.

The third event was a flash appearance when I let the fine dust from a freshly added GFO in the tank unfiltered.
I'ts so difficult to get repeated results so this certainly looks like a proper solution to dinoflagellate blooms in our reef tanks.

This result was not a shot in the dark, but years of hard work.
Somehow I think reefers will still prefer to ignore this solution and rather take shots in the dark at something else.
At the same time we need reefers to verify this result by trying it out on their dino blooms.

A study by Dana Riddle points out the iron in our GFO filtered reef tanks is mostly in suspended particulates and not dissolved.
Those particulates are bound to hit the bottom at some point just where our not so beloved dinos like to hang out.
This is why I think iron could be a major player..

Well that may explain why I have dinos starting in my tank. I run GFO and recently started dosing Red Sea Coral Colors 4 supplement pack. Bottle "C" is Fe(iron) & complementary metals.

So did you restart your tank., installed UV and/or just eliminated the use of GFO to get rid of the dino?

Last edited by Diana A; 10/09/2018 at 07:19 AM.
Diana A is offline   Reply With Quote