View Single Post
Unread 08/19/2018, 10:09 AM   #1
meverha1
Registered Member

Rescuing an abandoned tank?

Quick backstory...

I started this hobby about two years ago with with a Biocube 29. I sunk a ton of money into it (LED retrofit, etc...) before realizing that I really wanted a bigger tank. I purchased a 110 gallon and once it was cycled I moved all of my livestock from the Biocube to the 110 gallon.

For the past year and a half it's sat dormant. No water changes, just top offs. I've had the lights out but the pumps have been circulating water.

Now I've decided I'd like a nice carpet anemone species tank and the Biocube would be perfect.

This morning I drained the tank (all of the water I could get out of it), cleaned it, washed the pumps and powerheads, and replaced the algae covered live rock with fresh dry rock.

Later today I'm going to clean and do a water change in the 110 gallon. My plan was to take the "old" water from the 110 and put about 5 gallons of it in the Biocube to jumpstart cycling. Does this sound reasonable? Any reason not to do that?

Anything else I may be forgetting? I figure I'll have to completely cycle the tank again, which isn't a problem but it's been awhile since I messed with a small tank.

Should I use chemipure/purigen in my media basket when cycling or should I wait until after?

How about adding chaeto during the cycle?

meverha1 is offline   Reply With Quote