View Single Post
Unread 11/28/2007, 11:52 PM   #19
cthetoy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmz
I had a filamented flaser wrasse (Parachelllinus filamentosus) in qt for three weeks in a 29 gallon tank. It was doing very well untill Monday evening. it stopped eating. I had noticed erratic head shaking twice before.It's skin was faded toward the rear. Hard to tell if the fins were frayed. It died this morning. I didn't know very much about flukes and could not figure out what was wrong. There is a biglongnose butterfly(Forcipiger longirostris) in the qt tank It has been there for about 6 weeks. There are no other fish in the tank. I have not observed any symptoms . Should I treat it?If so which treatment? Opinions?
Most likely your wrasse had flukes from the symptoms you described. You could of FW dipped your dead wrasse to confirm if it had flukes. I FW dipped my dead Chysyrus Angel and hundreds (yes that many) of flukes fell off. I could not see the flukes on the fish until after the FW dip. From an arm distance away you cannot see the flukes in the FW dip. Only up close you can view them with the naked eye. A flashlight will help or pour some water in a large glass cup/bowl and view it under the light.

Your butterfly may or may not have flukes. You can observe the fish over the next few days and see it has any of the fluke symptoms. Some flukes lay eggs on the fish and some on the gravel. Hopefully the flukes stayed with the wrasse if it indeed died of flukes.

There are probably more fluke deaths out there but reefers here are not saying or admit their fish had ich or velvet, treated it with copper and have their fish die a few days/weeks later while all along not knowing his fish actually died of flukes. Who wants to start a new thread about their dead fish or their failure of curing it. I know I won't enjoy it

Last edited by cthetoy; 11/29/2007 at 12:01 AM.
cthetoy is offline   Reply With Quote