View Single Post
Unread 05/17/2012, 01:19 PM   #1190
naterealbig
Premium Member

Hi all, my name is Nate and I have been a member of the bubble king club for a couple of months now. I did not buy mine new, but purchased from someone who went through premium. I am running my external model 200 on a 150 gallon SPS reef tank, and have been very happy.

I have run into a bit of trouble the last couple of days however. Yesterday, I noticed a "buzzing" noise coming from the pump. I cycled the pump on and off, but it didn't help. I checked on the skimmer today, and the noise had gotten louder, so I decided to take it apart.

Inside, I found some rust on the impeller & motor block, what looks like some rubbing on the impeller magnet, and some rust and what looks like a small crack on the actual needlewheel. I assume that I am looking at a new impeller here, but would be greatly appreciative if I could get a couple expert eyes on it.

I have included pictures of the skimmer and pump for identification, and pictures of the inside of the volute, the inside of the motor block, and of the impeller itself. Please let me know if there is anything that needs to be addressed besides the impeller. I would also be grateful if you could advise in the way of parts. Perhaps now would be a good (better than never I suppose) to get some spare parts on the shelf as well.

Regards,

Nathaniel