View Single Post
Unread 07/13/2007, 02:22 PM   #39
Insane Reefer
Registered Member

Re: Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition

Quote:
Originally posted by leebca
I've heard enough of this: But my fish likes. . . [or] My fish eats. . .[or] My fish only eats. . . to suit me for a lifetime. Who's in charge? Would you let your child eat ice cream and cake for every meal just because it's what they like? You have to prevent your fish from getting into wrong habits.
I was pointed to this excellent article by another member. Kudos on the write-up

I do have to question this quoted statement though.

Most children can be reasoned with - failing that, negative reinforcement can be a great inducement to comply. Instinct won't allow a normal child to starve itself if any food is in the offing, and they are truly hungry. Fish can not be reasoned with. Can't exactly send them to their room without dinner and make them eat it for their next meal. Many fish will literally starve to death in the first few weeks if not offered what they think they want. You can put all the correct foods in the tank that you want, but if the fish refuses to take them, I'd say he is still the boss - right up to the point that he dies of starvation.

I understand that improper diet is a bad thing, and often leads to a slower starvation, but you need to follow this statement up with how to get this fish to eat what he should when he won't, not just stating that we need to prevent it and leaving it at that...

Quote:
But if I grate my gel formula to look like worms, they charge it.

Several people have posted, asking how this is made - could you please respond?

Thanks!

Current Tank Info: Oceanic Biocube 8

Last edited by Insane Reefer; 07/13/2007 at 02:45 PM.
Insane Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote