View Single Post
Unread 04/06/2012, 12:47 PM   #21
uncleof6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suphew View Post
If you going to quote someone you should at least do it correctly, and link to the information.

1 inch - 600 Gallons per hour per bulkhead.

http://dursostandpipes.com/faq/41-wh...urso-standpipe

I have run Durso's for over 12 years, my current tank and durso has been running for 10+ years, other than the few days to tune the durso it has been sealed in my overflow box and not adjusted in all that time, including when I have changed pumps. Nor have I had or heard of anyone ever having a failure with a durso.

No system is perfect but all have a role in a given situation, I have one overflow pipe, a Durso is the only logical option for me

Agreed, however the issue at hand, does not hinge on the flow capacity of a given bulkhead size, nor a given pipe size--rather the fluid dynamics of open channel drain systems. I did not "quote" Richard Durso, however, I will provide a quote, and the link to it.

"To Oversize or Not to Oversize

With 1 inch and smaller bulkheads the standpipe's PVC diameter needs to be larger than the bulkhead to work correctly. I get a lot of e-mail questions on why this is. Honestly, I’m not sure. Typically if you use 1 inch PVC pipe on a 1 inch bulkhead you get poor results. (Some exceptions with smaller low flow tanks.) Take my word on it and use 1¼ inch PVC pipe. For large tanks with 1.5 inch bulkheads and large return pumps however, there does not seem to be any need to oversize the standpipe for larger bulkheads. Bulkheads 1.5 inches and larger can use PVC pipe & fittings that match the size of the bulkhead. (I consider tanks in the 350 gallon and up good candidates for 1.5 inch bulkheads)."

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/make-your-own-diy

Fluid dynamics tells us why you will get poor results, and provides a guide to the limitations of the Durso, and similarly modified standpips, in larger sizes.

Yes a 1" bulkhead can flow 600 gph, it can actually flow 1500 or better, depending on the head height and the length of the drop. (simplified) Can a 1" durso standpipe/drain system do that--without issues (noise, gurgling, flushing, what have you)? No it cannot.

Current Tank Info: 325 6' wide Reef

Last edited by uncleof6; 04/06/2012 at 12:55 PM.
uncleof6 is offline   Reply With Quote