View Single Post
Unread 01/11/2014, 03:58 AM   #103
Big E
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
IF: High PO4 (such as 0.1-0.3ppm) gets you deep/strong SPS colours + possibility of nuisance algae; then I'd happily take that route and deal with a bit of algae and beef up my CUC.

Exactly, you have to have a lot of snails and then get coraline to go nuts to take over the rock. Hair/film algae isn't an issue, but some macro algae can be unsightly, so you need a plan for that.

BUT, why is it then that since the early days of my hobby experience everyone keep saying PO4 higher than 0.03ppm=BROWN SPS?!!!

MARKETING...............03 is a made up target number. Just like when Nitrates were the supposed issue. The sand manufacturers hammered that dead horse.

Take my current tank for example...I had EXCELLENT colours in MOST of my acros when the same tank and equipment was setup a couple of years ago.

I have the same tank and equipment and a year after a restart, I am not getting the same results...OK, its not bad...but overall its NOT the same level of success.

There are thousands of variables that go into play. You may think everything is the same, but did you have the same fish load for example? Same water supply......it goes on and on.

Parameters are the same...salt additives, salt, flow, pumps, lights...the list goes on.

The ONLY difference is the rocks. So is it something to do with the bacteria in my rocks?

Could be................I use the same rocks as my old setup when I started this current one. My rock is 15-20 years old. I used about half the old water too. I do think there's a realationship there about the old adage a tank needs to mature. The current one didn't really hit it's stride till after a year.

If its not PO4 then what is in the OP and Big E's tanks that is missing from so many of everyone elses tank?

I think lighting plays a bigger role than people want to admit.

One thing I did is get rid of any acros that didn't color well in my tank or weren't show stoppers. I then focused on buying only stuff that was known to have good colors.

Is lots of food the answer? Arrrgh! This hobby does my head in sometimes...

reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2197142&page=31

Ed
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote