View Single Post
Unread 01/26/2018, 12:00 PM   #5
Michael_D
Registered Member

Ok, so I have an update:

I noticed that my corals reliably perked up a bit during the evening as the lights dimmed. Thinking my weird ramp up/down schedule with the lights could be causing gradual coral issues, I changed it to one of the presets it comes with, where it gets to about 80% output max, with a ramp up and ramp down. I noticed almost immediate improvement in my corals.

Some of my corals are doing well, even better colour than they used to have. These are my hammer coral, my various SPS frags, and montis.

The rest of them showed a small improvement. My torch was extended a little more, but still pretty deflated. Same with my frogspawn. My zoas/pallies were partially open at best.

I was hopeful for a few days, so I did 30% water change thinking there might still be some residual something in the water. The evening of that change I noticed my pallys open fully as the lights dimmed. I thought everything was going to be good!

The next day, my corals went back to an irritation level somewhere in between where they started, and where they were after adjusting the lighting. I now have the lights maxing out at 60% to see what happens.

My other tanks are still doing fine.

Any clues???? I vacuumed my sand during the water change and noticed it took longer for the cyano/diatoms/slime to return, but it did still return.

I checked my powerheads for signs of exposed metal or corrosion, but couldn't see anything obvious. Either today or tomorrow, I'll be checking the return pump and skimmer pump.

My skimmer is no longer overflowing at random times like it was for a while there.

I want to do a Triton test, but I can't seem to find a retailer that carries them near where i live in Alberta, Canada. What sort of test kits should I look into? All I have right now is below:

Alk
Ca
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phophate PH
Magnesium

And none of these tests reveal anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks!

Michael_D is offline   Reply With Quote