View Single Post
Unread 07/28/2015, 12:52 PM   #1421
Adrnalnrsh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartier View Post
The theory goes that they get sucked into the skimmer and exported with a lot of other micro-organisms.

Montireef, was the user who reported a parasitic protozoa, parvilucifera (I believe) attacking a dino. It is earlier in this thread.

One thing that Montireef also pointed out is that if you do not discard your skimmate, but instead collect it and set it aside for a couple of weeks, that it will become clear and under closer inspection the now clear fluid will be teaming with a veritable soup of micro-organisms. I have been dying to try this but don't have a microscope yet (but I will be getting one soon!).

Wouldn't it be neat if instead of draining skimmate, you could collect it, let it age, bloom and then return the zoo-plankton to the tank once the organics are consumed. Perhaps adding some live phyto at the clear stage to assist with nitrate, phosphate reduction before returning the zoo soup to the tank. Compared to the ocean, our little boxes of water are usually sadly lacking in the lower food webs that higher organisms depend on.

Dennis
I set aside sklimmate from about two three months ago and its been sitting in a 2 liter bottle in my laundry room with the cap sealed tight. I see the clear liquid. Perhaps I should check a sample.

Adrnalnrsh is offline   Reply With Quote