View Single Post
Unread 04/04/2012, 07:48 PM   #14
bounty
Registered Member

I just got back from a week in St. Thomas and several day trips to St. John. The snorkeling on St. John was nothing short of amazing. Highlight was seeing several groups of cuttlefish - interesting because I thought they were solitary creatures. Their color changing and swimming behavior are even more beautiful and fantastic in person.

Austin93: I stayed at Sugar Bay. My girlfriend and I both had a great time, but we didn't stay at the resort all that much. People that stayed there the majority of their time felt it was good, but were expecting better. I would agree with that. If I were to do it all over again, I would skip St. Thomas and spend my time on St. John. Much cleaner, less people, more beautiful, more natural, clearer water, and closer to the nicer beaches and snorkel spots. St. John is 2/3 National Park. I would look into staying in the Concordia Eco Tents - one of the studio rooms. Not quite all of the amenities of a resort, but not exactly "roughing it" either. Relatively affordable and secluded in a remote part of the island. Trunk Bay on St. John is constantly rated among the top beaches in the world. Saltwater pond is a great place to snorkel/dive with sea turtles.

It's hard to criticize anything about the snorkeling there, but if I could say one thing - there were incredibly beautiful fish there, but most lacked some of the more vibrant colors that you see in pictures from other parts of the globe.

Feel free to ask or PM me with any other questions. We made a lot of rookie mistakes and overpaid in some areas. If we did it all over again - it would be a much less expensive trip. We also did a few non-snorkeling activities that were surprisingly fun and memorable. We went into it blind, but came out with a very memorable vacation. This was our first time snorkeling and we loved it so much that we are planning our second vacation exclusively around the snorkeling.

bounty is offline   Reply With Quote