View Single Post
Unread 10/19/2018, 05:39 AM   #241
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
I kept a pair pearly jaws for a while, until one jumped out of the tank. Mine found a tiny hole and get out, and I don't know how it got out, but it did. The other one lived for about a year longer. I had plenty of sand and rubble, but it seemed like mine never stayed in one hole long. And, they just dug under the coral most of the time, rarely making their own hole, as I had hoped.

After that, I tried a single dusky jawfish, and it was a great fish. It stayed in the same hole almost its entire life. It lived over 3 years. It constantly found rubble to line its burrow and decorate the top. I only wish that I had more than one so I could watch their antics together. Maybe I'll do a species tank one day. Bluespots appeal to me too, but they are more of a coldwater species, I think (or room temperature maybe).

I'm not saying that pearly jawfish wouldn't work, just that my luck wasn't as good. When we visited Myrtle Beach, we saw two in the reef tank at the Ripley's aquarium and they both had nice burrows out in the middle of the sand bed lined with rubble. So, my guess is that with the right conditions, they'd be entertaining. They certainly are a beautiful fish!

Your tank still looks fantastic! Glad the blennies are doing well!
Kevin, are the pearly jawfish and the yellowhead jawfish the same specie? I was planning on the yellowhead because KPAquatics has them and I wanted macro algae and ricordia from them too.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote