View Single Post
Unread 11/18/2018, 10:48 PM   #1
smogl00
Registered Member

Cleaning aquarium for re-boot

Shut my reef down after an almost two year battle with dinos. It has been down a couple of months now, and I am getting ready to re-boot. I’m trying to avoid getting any dino’s Back- they really screwed me, but want to make sure I’m doing this the right way.

So far I have filled it up with a 3:1 water to vinegar mixture, and let all the equipment run for a couple of days. I then scrubbed off all the old coralline, and emptied it for another week.

I have now filled it back up with just normal tap water to let all the equipment run again, and give it a good rinse from the vinegar mixture. I was contemplating mixing some h2o2 in the tank while it is rinsing- just for good measure, but I read that the mixture of vinegar and h202 could be hazardous.

Now for me- the concentrations of each would be so low since they will be in the presence of 75 gallons of freshwater- but my questions- is it dangerous, and is it necessary.

My biggest concern is getting any possible traces out of plumbing that I cannot get at behind the overflow.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks

Current Tank Info: 20 gallon high nano mixed reef 4x24 t5HO with lunar LEDS.
smogl00 is offline   Reply With Quote