View Single Post
Old 05/10/2011, 03:42 PM   #4
kenargo
Premium Member

IMO; I am very concerned at the use of floats to manage a water exchange; I use and have had the best luck with dosing pumps but if you want to go this route I would suggest some minor changes.

1) Turn off ALL pumps in the area of the floats; you want very calm water so that the floats don't bobble
2) Cond is a measure to protect; using it to control absolute is problemmatic since salinity is affected by temerature so you can get into troble relying on cond too much
3) You need to start with a known reference; that is to say you must have things in such a state that the operation is repeatable. To reach this point you must have the 1st part of the operation to be replace evaporated water; this sets the start
3a) Now empty to a low float
3b) Last add new salt back to the level of step 3

Cond should be used to override the operation; that is to say if the tank isn't in expected range then don't perform the exchange. Trust me, you really want you to be involved at this point. Cond could be high/low because of temp, air bubbles on the probe, etc so best to use it as an override than a control (IMO).

Hope this helps!

Click on my name to visit my homepage and access a collection of AquaController and Apex software, tips, trick and other Q&A including a link to the 'unofficial Apex new users guide' with loads of helpful information and don't forget to put a pin in my location map.

Current Tank Info: 225G, BK 300 Deluxe, Deltec PF601, Precision Marine Kalkreactor, 2-LMIII+6 pumps, SpectraPure UHE, Apex, LunarSim, Tunze 6305s. Mixed reef, clam, fish, etc.
kenargo is offline   Reply With Quote