View Single Post
Unread 10/15/2017, 10:49 AM   #2734
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefer40b View Post
I find it more of a balance thing, dial back your lamp hrs on the cheato or use smaller amounts and pull out more growth more often until you find what your tank balance is...
Agreed 100% - not sure pulling works unless you really reduce the quantity of cheato, but reducing photoperiod will certainly reduce its efficiency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkn73 View Post
I have experienced more than once chaeto growth stagnation but never died chaeto. IMO when chaeto die the cause is not the lack of nutrients but the lack of something I can not determine. I have a 20g plastic drum full with chaeto ,just a 6w lamp above it and sparingly fed, for amphipods propagation, and surprisingly chaeto is not dying, just not growing.
Agreed also.. I don’t think it’s the nutrients (alone) that have an effect in cheato. Cheato, like zoox or any other plant (freshwater or marine or terrestrial need a group of nutrients/minerals to be happy- ones that I can think of: iron, zinc, manganese, potassium, iodine as well as n and p.. You’ll find these in almost all plant fertilizers...
Maybe plants from different environments have different requirements but I think some are universal..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
Just another parameter to worry about. To each their own. Chaeto is a ticking parameter time bomb imo. I'd rather test for nitrate/phosphate and run some gfo and control my fish feedings and water changes.
To each their own, for sure.. I have never had success with carbon dosing. Or gfo usage for that matter.. And I’d say that Carbon/gfo usage is as much of a ticking time bomb and/or parameter swinger as any nutrient method, when not properly managed.. and I’d go further to say that cheato moves nutrients in a more gradual manner than gfo and Carbon. An like everything in reefing, once the balance is reached, easier to monitor/maintain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Costa View Post
I think that sometimes it's the best call.
Yes.. I will observe this time and watch for a while when n drops out. I won’t immediately reach for the nitrate bottles..

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote