View Single Post
Unread 01/02/2018, 01:48 PM   #6
ReefsandGeeks
Registered Member

Obviously there are dangers, as you unfortunately found out the hard way. Handling a reef tank is a fairly safe thing to do if you know what to do. Of course, there's a lot to know in order to do it right, and also those of us that know how to do it right also occasionally slip up in the moment. Palytoxin is about the worst thing in reefing, and it seems to only be an issue when liverock or certain coral are mishandled, or during fragging certain coral without PPE. Hopefully those reading that would like to start a tank aren't afraid to start, but use your experience as an example of the importance of following protocols when handling rock and coral, and for wearing gloves, and face shield when appropriate.

I'm glad your family is okay. I'm not trying to make light of your situation at all, so I hope it's not interperated that way. Since I've gotten into reefing, I have a newfound appriciation for the ocean, and for the complexity involved in how our ecosystem works and even our impact on it. Stay safe!

ReefsandGeeks is offline   Reply With Quote