View Single Post
Unread 09/25/2011, 07:44 AM   #8
elegance coral
They call me EC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve175 View Post
The question is obvious as I have the same:
He stated that he understands allelopathy, but doesn't understand my concern. I stated that allelopathy was the concern. If he understands allelopathy, the question does not make sense.

Quote:
how could growing Xenia in the refugium inhibit coral growth in the DT.
There is no magic force filed between the refugium and DT. It is all the same body of water. Pour some red dye in the refugium, give it a few minutes, and the water in the DT will be red. If you have "tons of Xenia" in the refugium discharging allelopathic substances in the water, they will reach the DT.

Quote:
If you are somehow invoking allelopathy, what is the mechanism/secreted substance?
Here's a link describing a cell killing substance produced by Xena.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...YRDb6F5oMMP-cw

Science is still learning about the substances produced by soft corals, and like the link above, many of these substances don't have names yet. Many have yet to be isolated. It is common in soft corals to produce allelopathic substances. If you would like to learn more about this, simply google "soft coral toxin", and you will find plenty of reading. This should also make it clear that having "tons of Xenia" in a system dedicated to stony corals would be a concern.

Current Tank Info: I'm trying to see how many tanks will fit in my house before the wife loses it.
elegance coral is offline   Reply With Quote