View Single Post
Unread 01/12/2012, 11:49 AM   #1
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Palys. Yes they can kill you. My trip to the ER

So last night I got off my butt and decided it was long overdue to remove the palys off the overflow that were now encroaching on my large hawkins.

I pulled the overflow teeth off (they are removable) to give them a quick cleaning. Being careless I tossed it under hot water in the sink and tried to scrub off the palys. I knew immediately that I had screwed up as I was inhaling the steam. It tasted like I was chewing on aluminum foil. Very metallic bitter taste. I finished up doing what I was doing and laid down for a bit.

I woke up with profuse vomiting, sweaty shakes, diarrhea, and could not breath easily. I called 911 and they came to pick me up.

I had always known about palytoxin. I don't know why I was so careless but it almost cost me my life. 1 gram of palytoxin can kill 80 people or a million mice. The longest time till death on record happened 16 hours after exposure due to heart failure.

The most common exposure is the same thing that happened to me. Steam vaporizing the toxin. One breath is all it takes.

I urge anyone who stumbles upon this post and thinks they might have been exposed to go to the hospital immediately. It is not a game.

After being poked and prodded all night I am going to try and rest up a bit. Figured I would share my story with you all.

P.S. anyone want palys? Free but you have to remove them

tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote