View Single Post
Unread 11/06/2017, 04:55 PM   #1
Silly clownfish
Registered Member

Encrusting coral (spongodes) encroaching on clam

I have had my maxima for ayear and a half or so, i it has been starting to look unhappy. I believe that the issue is a spongodes which has bridged the gap between the rock it was on and the one the clam is on and is now growing against the foot of the clam. What can I do to save my clam?

The spongodes has attached 3 large base rocks in my tank and I can't just break off pieces to achieve my goal. I am also afraid that using force to try to remove the spongodes will injure the clam. I know that some folks use kalkwasser paster to kill off oarts of encrusting corals. This could be an option, but again I am worried about damaging the foot of the clam.

Another thought is utting something like a strip of black plastic on the spongodes around the clam to starve the border of the spongodes of light so it will slowly die in the area of the clam.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Yes, I know I should have been more diligent and stopped the spongodes before they grew that much. But it is too late for that.

Kim

Current Tank Info: 75g mixed reef, 20g sump, ocelaris clownfish (20+yrs old), flame hawk, one spot foxface rabbitfish, green mandarin, Bicolor Blenny, Coral Beauty;30g sumpless with Spotcinctus pair
Silly clownfish is offline   Reply With Quote