View Single Post
Unread 01/05/2018, 12:56 PM   #87
saf1
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Yes! :0)

saf1, also interested in a build estimate for your 240. I thought about doing something similar using the blue acro but after buying all the power supplies and drivers, lenses, heat sinks, etc., it seems to be pretty expensive. BUT, you do have pretty simply plug and play... and configuration can be perfect for any system.
Sure - blue acro is a good source if you are a DIY person. I provided a rough estimate of building 4 of the Pro's. I can send you a PM with tank estimate and other things if you want.

Honestly going large is nice but there are a lot of things I personally didn't factor in which can be a bit scary looking back. Something simple like buying salt. Filling up 240 or so gallons isn't cheap. Water changes? Didn't really think about it (probably because I'm lazy and try to do as few as possible) but now I do. Logistics of moving it, size it takes in the room, stocking fish, corals, etc. Something this make sense others I didn't really pay attention to (the details). Few things I got lucky because I previously owned a 100 gallon and bought a larger skimmer.

I think I'll be ok with lighting like I posted above. I mostly keep LPS and soft corals anyway but may add a few SPS this go around. Nice example of a tank is Sanjay's - search youtube "Sanjay 500 Gallon Mega Reef" and he has 7 or 8 LED array's over his. I think the key is being able to control the spectrum and intensity. So cost can go up or down depending on if you have a controller or need to use one built into the light kit.

Didn't mean to derail the thread - sorry.

Current Tank Info: 210 gallon mixed reef
saf1 is offline   Reply With Quote