View Single Post
Unread 11/14/2017, 12:51 AM   #19
orcafood
Registered Member

After adding nori or ground shellfish to my tank, I definitely see it start to rise out of the collection cup on my recirc skimmer. I’d argue that the upflow of bubbles as well as solubilty characteristics of the bubble interface both aid in this effect. Watching the top of the skimmer bubbles closely, in certain cases I have seen the organics dancing across the bubble surface and precipitate! Surely a better name for protein skimmers would be surfactant skimmer

Carbon dosing definetly sequesters no3 and po4 into skimmable microorganisms. Skimming cannot remove appreciable amounts of inorganic nutrients like no3 or po4, but is excellent at removing organic nutrients as they contain surfactant like qualities. Microorganisms are covered in negative surfactants. If the quantity of surfactants drops below a critical concentration, the foam level falls.

Measuring nitrate or phosphate in skimmate is likely useless. Microorganisms are both growing and dying/lysing in the skimmate shuffling nutrients between organic and inorganic states.

Kevin

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon sps

Last edited by orcafood; 11/14/2017 at 01:13 AM.
orcafood is offline   Reply With Quote