View Single Post
Unread 11/08/2017, 10:16 AM   #1
EvergreenShadow
Registered Member

Newbie to saltwater, is this a good tank to start with?

First of all, hello member for less than five minutes, haha!

I am about to get into the beautiful hobby of saltwater aquariums. I wasn't going to originally, but I finished my freshwater project (10 gallons, spent around $300 TOTAL including animals, filled it with neat little critters like pom pom crabs and marimo balls). It was a simple project, only took me 2 months from the moment I got the idea to the day I finished, and I absolutely love it.

But now I have a problem.

Went to my LFS, saw a wyoming white clownfish and a sandhopper goby, and now I've got the silly idea to try my hand at a nano reef.

My intention was to try a mirrored version of my 10g freshwater (live rock instead of driftwood, saltwater pom pom crabs instead of freshwater, maybe even attempt to acclimate a handful of marimos to saltwater, etc).

However (and here is the point of my thread), what someone offered me instead was a JBJ 28g nanocube with live rock and sand, and the lighting was modified to one of those Chinese black boxes. We agreed to $125 for it all.

I am on a super tight budget, $300 is my limit. So:
$125 tank with light, sand and rock
$45 rodi buddy
$20 50lb instant ocean salt
$25 API saltwater Test kit
$20 refractometer
$28 Sandhopper goby
-----------
$263
Plus maybe $25 for a clean up crew (I was thinking blue hermits and snails to start?)

Might try a coral frag or 2 as well.
I know this will be a long term project (why are corals so expensive?!?!?!), and it will probably look hideous for the next few months. I work part time and am saving up for a car, possible apartment, etc. My spending budget for fun stuff is normally $100 (or less) a month, but I can scratch together the $300 for this project.

You who have more experience in this, please advise: should I go for it?

EvergreenShadow is offline   Reply With Quote