View Single Post
Unread 05/12/2012, 06:22 AM   #42
fla2341
Registered Member

The pair have been spawning every night since the 6th and each spawn has been 100+ eggs until last night. Last night's spawn was well over 200 eggs. However I can't get an exact count as I SPILLED THEM. I was able to count one egg cluster of 90 and another of 30 before knocking it over. There was at least another large cluster equal to or greater then the 1st, but while moving the microscope to take a pic I knocked over the container of eggs.

I still haven't broken the 6 DPH mark. Each time I am able to bring more thru to this point using the exposure to sunlight in the gallon jar method. It's not many 10-15 as opposed to 2-3 but it's still some progress and it's regular. At the 3-6 DPH mark it should be noted that they are very ready to eat something. They no longer just "go with the flow" of the currents but swim and float. A few times I noticed two which looked like they were striking at something. In addition once they pass the 3 DPH mark the black pigmentation is much more visable making them more visable.

So to date things I'm doing:
1. Increased the amount of mysis being fed to the pair. Feed last time @ 8pm .
2. Dip out, not seive out the eggs.
3. Sterilize the display tank water and jar the morning of the spawn.
4. Add 2 Ltrs of sterilized tank water as well as enough nanno to lightly tint the water.
5. Use open rigid tubing to provide approx 1 bubble per second air. This provides a slow current and keeps them in suspension and off the bottom.
6. Place jar in sunlight window so it gets 4-5 hrs direct sunlight.

Results: More make it thru to the 6 DPH mark.