View Single Post
Unread 04/11/2006, 09:45 PM   #21
surfnvb7
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reef Junkie
You must be married...

Sorry man, I couldn't resist.

Yep, your alk, keep it stable. 8-10, that's kosher.
Why do you spike it on the weekends? No time with work?
nope, not married yet.... i'll just leave it at that before she hands me a shovel i find myself digging a deeper hole

i do the cheapo method of keeping up my chemical parameters (grad student method). the only chemical filtration/maintenance i do is add baking soda (in small amounts) to make up for lost dkH, and dry Kent Turbo Calcium. nothing else. no carbon, no nothin

i am heavily influenced by my reef club to turn over to the dark side and stock heavily with sps. so i do have quite a few sps, and it will easily get knocked down from 10 to 7 in a week (~40g).

but yeah, i just mix in about 3 teaspoons of some baking soda with fresh water every weekend to make up for the evap in the sump. been doing it this way for over a year, and usually have better looking sps than most people in my area with the high tech equipment etc. so I must be doing something right.

i think i am going to look into doing randy's 2 part dosing system on my next tank, which will hopefully be set up in the next 6months after i move. i have no motivation to buy a kalk reactor and/or calcium reactor for my tank. i am hoping a litermeterII dosing pump(s) would work better, and can leave it alone for long periods of time before having to service and make new batches.

but yeah, after doing a planted tank for a couple of years, and constantly having my hands in the tank, i try to take the approach of "set it up and forget it" with the saltwater tank. seems to work well as long as i test calcium and alk on weekends.

Richmond Reef Club

GO HOKIES!!

Current Tank Info: 50g cube w/ 20g sump; 10g nano w/ mantis
surfnvb7 is offline   Reply With Quote