View Single Post
Unread 11/20/2017, 05:08 PM   #1
Kinetic
Registered Member

Aggression or Love?

Backstory:
I introduced a group of clowns to my tank. The aggression was low, but as soon as I added an H. Magnifica, the largest of the smallest males started becoming very aggressive.

The clowns were:
Bonded pair of ocellaris (1.5" x 1.25")
5x 1" ocellaris

The bonded pair kept all the small clowns in check, but once the Magnifica was introduced, they all went into it. Unfortunately, the bonded pair kicked everyone out and claimed it for themselves. The bonded pair then no longer really cared about the small males. This lead to the largest of the small males aggressively attacking the others.

I removed the aggressive one, then the next largest took up the role of aggressor. And so on. Now I have 2 small males, and yes, I believe the smallest one (funnily) is now becoming aggressive. I isolated the one that was getting picked on this time.

The smallest one was always the one who wanted to most attention from the bonded pair. He always went up to them and did a dance, snuck into the magnifica whenever he could, and never gave up. The one I've now isolated gave up early, and would stay as far in the top corner of the tank as possible, trying to disappear into the background. These last two small guys got along well, until they were the last two small ones left. I was watching the smallest (mocha ocellaris) chase this one around non-stop. He would chase, but then do the dance, over and over. It wasn't exactly aggression, but I decided to isolate the one getting picked on (fancy white extreme ocellaris).

So the fancy white extreme is now in the isolation box. He gets to eat all the food he wants without getting chased, and seems to be fine. The mocha ocellaris WILL NOT LEAVE HIS SIDE. He has stayed next to the box for 3 days, never leaving his side. I can't tell if it's because he wants to kill the fancy white really badly as his sole purpose in life, or just really likes him.

I'm worried that if I release the fancy white, he's going to get destroyed. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvM8PRh23mQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iqbb0tN_Bk

One idea was to put the mocha in the box too to see what would happen. The idea being, if the fighting was bad, I could just remove one easily and quickly (without a tank chase).

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote