View Single Post
Unread 01/06/2013, 05:02 PM   #8
rishma
Registered Member

I see a lot of hear-say on the boards regarding concerns about stainless. While these concerns are well intentioned, they are generally not grounded in fact or experience.

yes, stainless contains nickel and chromium, but in a typical use you will not get a significant amount of either into you water column. most of the stainless used in things intended for water or food service will be passive (think inert) in a typical reeftank environment. there are exceptions, notably in crevices where the stainless is in intimate contact with something else like a bushing. In these crevices, you will get a some mild pitting. This typically does not impact the function of the stainless unless this crevice is supposed to form a water tight seal.

I am of couse being very general as there are many many steels that we refer to as stainless. These generalizations will hold true for typical equipment.

I'll close by pointing out that many aquarium pumps use metal shafts. With a few exceptions (bubble king) these shafts are stainless steel. stainless works very well in these applications and causes no harm to the tank.

rishma is offline   Reply With Quote