View Single Post
Unread 08/05/2014, 07:22 AM   #34
phenom5
Unregistered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfish01 View Post
i dont know how far down from the top of the aquarium to make the holes as to determine how much of the water will drain out in case of a power outage, or if they should be even (intake and outtake), small details like that...

i heard a 10g may be way to small for all this. but i dont know. i may have to pass on the refugium part of my sump.....
On the stand, I would definitely make the change you've shown. More room to work under tank is always a good thing. I can't ever remember a time when I thought to myself...gee, I wish I didn't have so much space under my tank.

As far as the drilling goes. I would really consider just drilling your drain, and running your return lines up and over the back of the tank. Less to drill, and worst case you can spray paint any exposed PVC black so it looks okay.

I would go with a 1" drain, which will require a 1 3/4" hole. You want the distance from the edge of a glass pane that you put any hole to be at least equal to the diameter of your hole. So in this case, you'd want it at least 1 3/4" from the top. The overflow box on your drain, and a siphon break (a hole just below the water line on your return pipes that allows air into the line...which breaks the siphon) are what control the amount of water that drains into the sump in case of a power outage/ or if you shutdown your return, not the level of your holes.

A 10g is fine for a sump, bigger is better, but you can make do. You may have to get creative if you choose to have a refuge, but it can be done. I would even consider building out the new stand, and sticking with a 10g sump. That leaves room for an auto topoff reservoir...which I highly recommend.

I agree with GrampaDon on going bigger if possible, but you want to make sure you can equip a bigger tank. If you step up to a 120, but don't have the cash available to set it up with the right equipment, you may not be as happy long term.

Something else to consider, is a HOB overflow. I cannot speak for other HOB overflows, but my father in law had a lifereef overflow on his tank for years, and it was very reliable. Cost more money than some of the others out there, but that thing always started right back up.

Current Tank Info: DSA 155 Pro | ATI Sunpower | ATB 840 v2 | Apex | Wav
phenom5 is offline   Reply With Quote