View Single Post
Unread 05/05/2012, 12:19 AM   #2
BigBarnacles
Registered Member

I have the same exact skimmer and almost identical sump (Crystal 30S). I'm avoiding the sugar fine sand and instead going with the Tropic Eden mini reef flakes (which are a step up in size from the sugar fine). I'm going with 2 Hydor Koralia Evolution 750's. The Vortech's are bad a** but extremely expensive. Sugar fine sand with a pump like that will most likely blow around unless precisely placed. But it is possible and if that's what you like....go for it. I'm starting the build phase of my aquarium tomorrow. I've been hardcore researching for at least 3 months straight and off and on for the last year. You can't be too educated or over-informed.
Just remember, you're going to get a lot of different opinions on a lot of different topics. No one person, myself included, can or should tell you what to do. My advice, go with the general consensus on answers you receive and never be afraid to buck the trend. Just realize that what works for one may not work for all. And be sure to do what you want to do, because in the end it's your money and your aquarium. So long as you minimize your mistakes (which you will make...we all have) and provide yourself with a room for a solid plan B, you'll be all good. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions. Good luck and good reefing to ya!

Current Tank Info: 75 gallon mixed reef. 8 gallon Nuvo.
BigBarnacles is offline   Reply With Quote