View Single Post
Unread 10/03/2017, 12:07 PM   #7
MMOORE0324
Registered Member

**ORIGINAL POST 9/25**

Work on the sump has slowed down a little - reason being; I kept look at my seams on the tank and it was bothering me that they weren't perfect. While my gluing technique was partially to blame, the other part was due to the fact that my edges weren't prepped as meticulous as they could have been. I plan to keep at this and really want to improve so... I decided to build a router table and split fence. This was a slightly lengthier process that I predicted. The table is made from a sheet of particle board topped with Formica, used to closet shelving. It measures 48 1/2"L X 35 3/4W. Running acrylic through a router table is slightly more "technique" diver than I thought. The good news is that my edges are coming out glass smooth for the most part. I'm currently on an airplane heading up to NYC for the week for work so hopefully when I get back next week, I can resume the sump. I've decided to make a small change to the design of the sump. Since it's only 26"L I didn't feel that afforded me enough real estate for a skimmer zone, return zone, and refugium A.K.A. Marc's Model F sump. So I'm getting rid of the refugium and will only have a skimmer and return zones. I'm going to build a 15 X 15 X 15 and plumb the refugium remotely. I've been growing many mangroves in the refugium of my 600g cichlid tank so I'm going to take my nicest ones and plant them in the remote refugium, Julian Sprung style. I will build a matching stand for the refugium and will place it next to the tank. Now I'll have a nice little home for some soft corals and maybe a few small fish as well.

Equipment:

I was pretty set on using the Nyos 120 protein skimmer but after seeing some mediocre reviews on the reef forums and product reviews on Marine Depot I decided to rethink. The larger Nyos skimmers had much better reviews so I'm not sure if there is something different between the models other than size, that were the source of the poor reviews. I know from past builds, smaller skimmers have been more difficult to dial in than the skimmer that I ran on my old larger system. I figured that I could just do a Reef Octopus but I really didn't want to spend the cash for a SS model but needed the smaller footprint. So I combed through the "equipment" board on RC and came across a post on Simplicity brand skimmers. I remember seeing them in a 2016 MACNA video so I kept reading. The majority of the posts were very positive and many of the folks posting had been running the skimmer for 12+ months. I did a good ol' Google search and was shocked at the price point. $199 for the Simplicity 120DC. The skimmer had 4 features that I really liked:

1.) A controllable DC pump
2.) Small footprint
3.) A locking - twist off collection cup
4.) Simplicity is a USA based company. Their customer service team is state side and they carry all the replacement parts that you could need
I figured for $199 that I couldn't go wrong.

I ended up buying a Simplicity brand DC return pump as well. Again, pretty much stellar reviews.

For lighting I have decided on the Hamilton Cayman Sun 250w MH with 20K Radium bulb. In a few months I'm going to retro-fit some ReefBrite LED strips to the pendant.
I've ordered about half of all my equipment / supplies. As I mentioned in the first post, I've been completely out of the hobby for about 5 years. Having to rebuy EVERYTHING has added up but I just couldn't be out of the hobby for any longer. When I get home next week, I will order the remainder equipment and finish the sump and stands. I hope to have the tank running and cycled by mid October at the latest.

Stay tuned!

MMOORE0324 is offline   Reply With Quote