View Single Post
Unread 09/01/2017, 11:28 AM   #77
Steve Tyree
Premium Member

Dont add silica myself, but will be experimenting with it in the future. My systems right now have the lowest filtration power foot print of any system. That has been my main research focus point. Lowest operating cost filtration. The bare essential reef basically. Barebones structure. My hunch is we have a difficult future ahead of us on this planet, unfortunately. Relates to Einsteins remark about he does not know how ww3 will be fought, but he knew how ww4 would be fought.

Now concerning sponges, the sponge is the first multicellular organisms on the planet. So obviously it's main job was to filter the single cells from day one. But every learned trick, symbiosis, association, etc., that you find in animals can also be found in sponges. So there is no unifying sponge declarations or theories. Many have a symbiosis with cyanobacteria. Those are not cryptic cave sponges, but semi cryptic and semi exposed sponges. Some even have an algal symbiosis (exposed sponges). And many have no photo synthetic symbionts (cave sponges) All have bacterial symbionts living inside their tissue. Environmental parameters that affect the coral symbiosis (bleaching) also can affect sponge symbionts.

Steve Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote