View Single Post
Unread 07/15/2012, 10:27 AM   #239
Finsky
Registered Member

Apologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxII View Post
Wow….

I’ve never claimed to know it all. In fact, just the opposite.
I don’t have devotees…If anything, the folks I mentioned previously are people I look up, certainly not the other way around.

The reason semantics are important in a discussion like this is because it prevents misunderstanding.

Misunderstanding and confusion about semantics in a discussion where drugs and antibiotics are being used to treat an animal in our care, should be avoided whenever possible.

Weakened is NOT the same thing as sick. There is a reason I’m pointing out the difference between the two.

Cloramfenicol is a broad spectrum antibiotic that can cause serious side effects in humans, it shouldn’t used unnecessarily. If an anemone is sick with a bacterial infection, then its use or other antibiotics is indicated. If the anemone is weakened but not sick, use of antibiotics is not indicated and may cause more harm than good.

I have no idea why your clown did not bring the razor clam piece back to your anemone…maybe she didn’t like it and saw no need to try and defend it from other fish in the tank?

Could there be any possibility that clownfish will feed a host anemone? Sure. It’s doubtful however, as this behavior hasn’t been documented in the wild and is seen only in an aquarium. If it were a natural ingrained behavior, wouldn’t it be seen in the wild as well?

I’m not sure why you’re resorting to personal attacks in response to my posts. It does nothing to prove your point and makes you look like overly sensitive and uninformed. None of my posts were a personal attack towards you. Why you chose to take them that way is beyond me.

I was correcting what most definitely incorrect information. There is no argument regarding that. I’m not the only one who noticed it either.

My posts here are based on experience. I even linked to a thread documenting my experiences and results. So far, you’ve posted a link to a blog that has incorrect information that doesn’t bolster your case in any way. I can back up what I’m stating and have done so.

Based solely on what I’ve seen you post here on this thread, you don’t need my help to make an @$$ out of yourself, you’re doing just fine on your own.

I’m done derailing this thread. If you’d like to carry on the discussion whether or not clowns actively feed their host anemones or whether or not adding clowns to a weakened or sick anemone is the best practice to get the anemone back to health, feel free to start a thread about it. I’ll be happy to join in and discuss it with you there. Further arguing here detracts from the thread as a whole and all the information contained in it.
You have my apology as sometimes it is difficult to communicate via the written word versus spoken word. Sometimes I write before thinking when excited about things i.e. all things aquarist. I am sure you are a decent person and I get the impression, an advanced aquarist. I do want to apologize again to you and this thread and hope you will forgive me.

I would like to add my reason for listing the liquid foods and vitamins is that I think this may be a route to go with a weakened anemone that is not up to taking solid foods. Of course, the aquarist would obviously want to keep an eye on water quality.

I do think that lighting, current, water quality, placement i.e. rock versus substrate, feeding, etc. all have a part in an anemones health.

For myself, I have found Heteractis magnifica to be the most difficult anemone to care for.

For my Stichodactyla gigantea, I prepared a tennis sized vertical hole in the middle of my live rock underneath the right 150 watt metal halide. At the bottom of the five inch hole was smooth live rock. The bottom of the hole went horizontally off to the left. I moved a green bubble tip from that place by using a frozen block of razor clam to losen it's grip. I then moved it to the left side of the tank in a crevice in the live rock above the two green and two red rose Bubble Tips(used to be one of each until the green and red split) that were also there. Almost instantly the Tomato clowns started nudging it gently and now it is doing much better than the right side.

This left a place for me to place a six inch Stichodactyla gigantea I aquired from Petco. I turned off the pumps and after acclimating guided the anemone down over the hole. It stuck rather quickly and at first was anchored half on the inner side of the hold and half of the bottom of the hole. I has since spread out to cover the entire width of the hold and has grown to about eight inches or more.

I have two 3,250 gph Hydor Mag 8's which are place high in the tank ends. This creates a circulation that is high at the surface and lessens gradually towards the bottom of the tank. Lighting is a 60" Marine Pro Lighting System with four 54 watt T-5's and two 150 watt double ended metal halides.

I do agree that it is possible that an anemone may not be up to hosting a clownfish and may not even be able to "anchor" itself to substrate and/or rock.

Addendum: My female Tomato clownfish did bring one of two Hikari Algae wafers into the larger red rose buble tip anemone?

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef - 250 lbs of live rock, Rena XP4, two Hydor Koralia 3250s, Aqua-Medic Tuboflotor multi 1000 skimmer - Two 60" Marineland Reef Capable LEDs - 8 1/2 years

Last edited by Finsky; 07/15/2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: more information
Finsky is offline   Reply With Quote