View Single Post
Unread 05/09/2017, 11:41 AM   #4350
bheron
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha View Post
Bheron, are you dosing anything other than ca,alk, stump remover?
I've come to conclusion that overfeeding is a really bad way to elevate nutrients when fighting dinos. I'll post links later, but basically macroalgae processes simple forms of N better than complicated ones (duh). But weirdly dinos uptake complicated forms of N (aminos) better than simple ones.
Stump remover is "better" than extra fish food.

Seachem flourish phosphorus is straight p and a (teensy bit of k).
For the more reckless, high p miracle grow liquid fertilizer is something I've used to raise p. At the levels we're talking about (
<.10ppm phosphate) the other things in there are vanishingly small. And if I'm running healthy algae in my system, I'm not worried about accumulation of weird trace metal stuff.

Cyano: From what I've seen ostis are not closely associated with cyano. amphidinium frequently follows cyano and happily colonizes a cyano mat, sometimes turning it brown to the eye.
Jason's dinos showed up on the sand and seemed hand in hand with cyano much like amphidinium in other systems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Thanks Taricha, great stuff. I was hoping to find a better way of dosing P and heard about the Seachem Flourish product. I'm thinking this is the route for my specific Dinos since the overfeeding seemed to control them before. I'm going to give this a try, along with stump remover, to keep N and P at optimum levels. N between 5 and 10 PPM and P you say between 0 and 0.1 PPM?

Also interestingly the scenario you outlined sounds like what happened to me - "amphidinium frequently follows cyano and happily colonizes a cyano mat, sometimes turning it brown to the eye....showed up on the sand and seemed hand in hand with cyano..."

Finally, you said "I'm running healthy algae". Can you expand on what you mean by that? I'm in the process of adding more space to my system, specifically for refugium purposes. Planning to stock it with the right microfauna, phytoplankton, zooplankton (still learning here).

Current Tank Info: 220 since Nov 2005
bheron is offline   Reply With Quote