View Single Post
Unread 07/16/2017, 10:50 AM   #1
Devaji108
Registered Member

SH thank size thread...

I need help Help in choosing a tank size...

so let's start a discussion. I know 30 gal for 1st pair 15 each pair after is standard practice ...
I have been wanting Sh for many years and for some reason I have not? I worked a few extra shifts with the intention of doing something nice for myself...so why not another tank..haha after all I only have 2 it's not like I have a problem or anything...

if you where going to start a SH tank what size would you go with and why? I know it depends on how many I want to keep...min. one pair more like 2. of course they will be CB from Dan.

I have an 75 48x18x24 in storage 4 hrs away I am a renter and think that just to much for another tank. I have a 90- 36x24x24 up and running. that would be a nice size lol
the area i have for it is 36" length max. also would like this tank to be movable by myself so at least easy if I ask for help. that 12mm glass 90 dang thing is sooo heavy.

here are the options I have come up with so far..

the cheapest I have a cpl extra 40br around really like the foot print would love to do a 40/40 DT/sump. 65ish gal volume but would the 18" in height be a problem? I would really like to put these to good use than could spend the $ on a oversized skimmer, chiller for the 3 moths i need it ;/ LR gorgs. and SH. this seams to be the most the best option.

the cube another option is I found (4.5 hr drive each way ) a 60 24x24x24 but in reading that not much surface area for gas exchange dont want GBD. + the drive and time...

the simple a 29H from petco $1 per gallon sale no sump with HOB Simmer and ac70

long and narrow a 55 gal form petco for some reason I really got care for the foot print of the 55 so dont I will go this way. but its an option.

the column buy a new 56 gal column 30x18x24 that such a odd size not sire I will like it. to bad the closes petco is 100 miles each way would be nice to see it in person.

the splurge this option would be a splurge but get a 50 gal 24x 24x20 gal starfire rimless cube PNP system form SCA to match my 90. comes with tank sump skimmer return pump and plumbing. around $700 tho... dont have to leave home for this one...

AIO IM nuvo 40 gal 24 x 20 19 $350 just for the tank tho. them skimmer not sure even if you can get an over size skimmer for it or do the ATS or keep 2 pair in there prob. could do 3?

the bow front a 36 or 46 gal bow front. not to sure I like this unless I can find a good cheap one with a stand. how is cleaning water flow etc? but added it to the list anyway...

the wait and see just wait a cruse the classifieds and sale threads and see what pop up.
might find a good deal.

so lets open up a Sh tank size thread and see where is goes, hopefully ppl will chime in and we can get a robust thread going.

tell me why you like your size pros and cons.
also if there is anything I am not thinking about I am all ears. ~ I did not add the 29 gal bio cube as I really dont think that there all that good and not good for sh IMHO .

so lets hear your thoughts
I will most likely do redi or erectus...

Devaji108 is offline   Reply With Quote