View Single Post
Unread 03/28/2016, 10:45 AM   #3451
taricha
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
In addition, some species have ridges or crests -- especially members of the Dinophysiales, such as the one shown at right. In some, the crests may be hollow and house cyanobacteria which provide fixed nitrogen to the host. This is most common in nitrogen-poor waters. [/I]

Source: http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/protista/dinoflagmm.html
Here's another fun one that discusses what the cyano gets out of the deal.
They found dinos - some in very deep water - that hosted cyano in the armor and sometimes within the cell itself.
"We propose that heterotrophic dinoflagellate hosts may provide the cyanobacterial symbionts with the anaerobic microenvironment necessary for efficient N fixation. Thus, these self-supporting consortia increase in numbers during the long period of stratification and nitrogen limitation in the oligotrophic subtropical waters of the Gulf of Aqaba."

Quote:
Detritus collects in my overflow box.
Today I took a sample from the bottom of it and at least 95% are these particles.
Of the rest I assume 4% to be the same particles broken up and 1% unknown.
I wonder if there's anything you could do to determine whether these are 'asleep' in their cysts or dead. Didn't you get reinvigorated blooms by adding Ca/Alk?
Could you pull these out into a container and simulate adding Ca/Alk to see if they 'wake up'?

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote