View Single Post
Unread 03/24/2013, 08:25 PM   #2
snake42490
Registered Member

So my friend has been in the lab all day and figured out how to get rid of amyloodium aka Velvet. I found it hard to believe after everything I have read, but she made a high percent solution of hydrogen peroxide and put it in the tank water with the fish. She made a 40 percent solution of hydrogen peroxide and put it in the with fish 25 mg/L for 30 minutes. This was in salt water FYI. Fish handled solution very well and it seemed to allow them to breath better. Upon 30 minutes of the solution we did another sample of fish and all gill samples were 100% clear of Velvet. Take note this also cleared the fish of Ich, which I thought wasn't possible because they were buried deeper. I'm not sure what that was about. Ich, Flukes, and Amyloodium were completely cleared in the trophont stage.

One way to make this solution of hydrogen peroxide is to get a bunch of the stuff at walmart that has the 3% solution and evaporate the water out of it by steaming it down. If you have a 1 liter solution of 3 percent and steam it down you can increase the percent of hydrogen peroxide to 40%.

I was being funny and told her if you could find a cure for this you would make millions and she looked at me and just laughed. She said peroxide will kill this parasite and be safe to the fish. She dropped it on the parasite under the microscope and it just basically ate the thing away.. What was weird is it didn't damage the tissue of the gills!

snake42490 is offline   Reply With Quote