View Single Post
Unread 12/04/2011, 09:45 PM   #32
swissgaurd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.wilson View Post
I got lost in the split and preoccupied with the store project, so I will try to catch up. I have been posting on behalf of Orphek in their sponsor forum here on RC and when the dust settles will be posting more often here.

As you all know, reef tanks are never "done", and I think that is what keeps it interesting. We will have some updates in the coming weeks as we continue to fine tune Peter's aquarium.

I'm not sure if it's the slow flow rate or plasma lighting that is causing the red candy floss algae (Asparagopsis taxiformis) bloom. We will change just the lighting and see if that slows it down. I am working on some new multi chip LED fixtures for Orphek that we will test with the mangrove system soon.

I have never seen mangroves grow at the rate at which Peter's have. Hopefully the secret isn't the plasma lights and the LEDs are as good or better.
shawn
miracle mud and mangroves area very good mix.if you were to take a water sample from within the mud youll more than likely find very high nitrates wich mangroves like,above the mud you should see 0 nitrates, i never tested mud for phosphates so cant comment on that.
also i have found that candyfloss grows extremly well with low flow,ive seen it on the tops of sps when they start growing at the surface of the water,especially if theres not much turbulance,ive seen it with T5 and metal halide lighting,so i dont think its the plasma.

congrats on the new store

vic

swissgaurd is offline   Reply With Quote