Thread: Rodi rodi rodi
View Single Post
Unread 01/02/2018, 07:48 AM   #6
MondoBongo
Obligate Feeder Obsessed

excluding the electricity to mix and heat the saltwater, mine typically costs me between 35 - 55 cents per gallon. this includes salt, rodi filters, and water. it varies slightly based on the cost of the salt mix, but compared to the ~$1/g most of the LFS, it does save me some money. more importantly though, it saves me time and effort, and makes sure i am always using 0 TDS water.

my system is 160 gallon tank, with about 20 in the sump, and i change about 25 - 30 gallons of water a week. not counting water i might use for projects, QT, dipping, etc...

it pays off pretty quickly. the cost of store bought water sucks, but by far having to play bucket brigade to move water around is the worst. now i just turn on my RODI, it pumps in to its own reservoir, then flip another switch and it gets pumped in to my mixing vessel, make it up, then one more switch to pump it in to the tank. no weight lifting required.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right" - xkcd

Current Tank Info: A rectangular shaped money pit.
MondoBongo is offline   Reply With Quote