View Single Post
Unread 05/13/2012, 06:53 AM   #27
LouH
LouH

Quote:
Originally Posted by demariners View Post
I also notice on Avast website that the unit has bubbles near the top on the video. I see no such bubbles.
I run the small Mutiny reactor. I've driven it both with an Eheim 1250 and a 1260. The 1260 made many bubbles due to creating greater airflow through the venturi, and I assume due to the impingement of the influent on the bubble plate. The 1250 makes some bubbles, but it certainly doesn't fill the top chamber with bubbles like the 1260 does or like you see in Avast's video. I emailed them once to ask if bubbles made a difference but never got a response. I don't want anyone to take that as poor customer service on their end. I've called them before and got great service and an unsolicited email as follow-up to the problem that they helped me with.

Anyway, both pumps can get the tank's ORP up to 420 as measured by my Red Sea 50 mg/hr unit (the one with the digital display and probe). My tank is a 120 gallon reef with about 15 fish (damsels, a tang,wrasse, gobies).

I also run an Apex controller and measure ORP with a probe on that unit as well. What is interesting is that the Apex will tell me that ORP is 340 mV while the Red Sea unit is measuring 420 mV. When I put either probe in a 400 mV calibration solution, both read 400 mV. Both probes are in the main display and the ozone effluent goes to the sump. I set my Red Sea unit to shut off at 420 mV, and the Apex is programmed to cut power to the Red Sea unit if ORP exceeds 450 mV.

These days my ozone unit is set to produce 15 mg of O3/hr, and the unit does not have to run continuously to mantain ORP.

Lou

LouH is offline   Reply With Quote