View Single Post
Unread 10/22/2018, 10:16 AM   #9819
fftfk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acesq View Post
I'm not sure I understand how the pipe would run if it is above the steel, but I wouldn't be too concerned about a horizontal run with your 12' of total drop even if it has a small rise in the middle. Keep in mind that the flow will be dictated by your return so I would keep that at around 1500 gph there shouldn't be much of any buildup of detritus in the drop area. I would use 2" pipe for the drain to give yourself a good sized margin of error.

You can eliminate the small risk of an overflow in the tank from the unlikely event that the drains get clogged by designing your sump so that the total volume of the return section is less than the unused volume of the tank when normally operating. In my case, the return area is about 10gals and I calculated that I have almost 15 gallons of space between the normally operating water level and the very top of the tank.

The other side of the equation is to make sure your sump can handle all of the water draining from the tank in the event the return pump stops. With 40' of 2" pipe and whatever the return lines will siphon back, that's a good amount of water you have to account for.
Thanks for the fast response. Here is a picture of the area in question:
Small.jpg

The pipes would all run perpendicular to the joists until the area in question. They would then make a 90 degree turn using a sweep and route up into the joist and over the air conditioning lines and steel support beam.

The other option is to have the pipes run under everything but that makes the ceiling very low in the impacted areas.

fftfk is offline   Reply With Quote