Thread: Tempered Glass
View Single Post
Unread 03/29/2012, 05:25 AM   #9
TundraGuy
MantisOholic

+1 to JmartWI's statment
The chances of a mantis breaking a tank are so low that even Doc Roy has very few stories to tell about it happening and he’s had unknown quantities of mantis shrimps. It always makes me think about subs in a car. Everyone has heard of the guy that blew out his windows in his car from adding too much bass, but no one really knows the guy or was there when it happened. So yes it can happen. But not something to lose sleep over.
Your setting up a 48 gall is that a bow front? You should be fine. I have read the Doc’s info on it and it would seem that when this happens it usually occurs from the mantis trying to dig out the sand bed and running into what it thinks is a “rock” and trying to break through said “rock”. The “rock” being the bottom pain of glass. The heavy hitters are for the most part in my book less desirable animals for beginner mantis hobbyist. I say that cus they have some strange requirements on their tanks. For instance the peacock needs no light and infect can be killed from what is known as shell rot is the lights over it are too intense. These critters are better suited in the hands of someone that is willing to make certain shall we say adjustments to the way you look at a fish tank.
All that withstanding there is a world of “Gangster Mantis” out there that would be a lot of fun for you to keep. I like the G. Smithii. I keep one in a 40 breeder under Par38 lighting. He is active, interactive, lives in a plastic dino skull he hollowed out, and does not harm the fish. So to answer your next question yes you can keep them with fish depending on what kind of mantis/fish.
But if your hart is set on a big smasher and are worried about the bottom of the tank cus that’s what they like to break just lay a piece of acrylic down on the bottom then add your sand and your good to go. Hope to see some pix soon.

TundraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote