View Single Post
Unread 03/16/2016, 08:54 PM   #3352
jweist
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karimwassef View Post
It's important to have facts before asserting opinions:I added an ATS many many months after I had used UV and been dino-free and clear.
Just going off of what you told me. "First UV, then wet skimming + carbon + new chaeto + new live rock + blackout + thousands of pods + phyto. Then I cranked up my feeding and installed an ATS..."

At the time you got rid of the dinos did you have any algae in your display tank?
Quote:
Then I tried UV and it was a C change. It won the battle for me.
What do you mean by this?

Quote:
As far as phyto, enough of it stays alive long enough and competes with any "pathogenic" elements... Then it becomes food. That's the plan.
If it's dying it's not competing with dinos it's just providing N & P for the bottom of the food chain. Dinos would eat this up if something else wasn't gobbling up these nutrients first.

Quote:
As far as export: ATS is, by far, the best mechanism for export and nutrient control. It kicks in after a powerful skimmer and a healthy open surface sandbed. They are not in opposition... They're allies. Each can deliver a unique export capability.
I'm aware that they have different export capabilities. We need to focus on the things a skimmer can't touch, N & P. So even though a skimmer can help maintain low nutrients it can not physically lower either N or P.
Quote:
I have almost no rocks on my 3' x 8' x 3" sandbed. That's my bacteria and detritus cleanup zone.
Bacteria grows everywhere.
Quote:
The monster skimmer removes organics
The scrubber and chaeto removes inorganics.
Organics are food but not the kind of food dinos are using to grow... inorganics (N & P) are.

jweist is offline   Reply With Quote