View Single Post
Unread 07/13/2013, 07:47 PM   #102
Fishypapa
Registered Member

I'm bumping this thread also.

Another reminder to all those who don't necessarily mess with Zoas or others but last night I was moving a new rose bubbletip anemone into the DT without gloves (of stupidly course for me) I noticed a kind of slime coming off it but didn't think anything of it and put it down into the tank. When I pulled my hand out it was now completely covered it as I call it "slime." I immediately went to wash my hands and it took a while to get it all off.

Later in the evening I was feeling a bit ill (feverish and dizzy) so I went to bed early. A little bit afterward (even with fans off and a warm house) I was feeling so cold I had a down-filled blanket on and was shivering and sweating profusely at the same time.

This morning when I awoke I still felt strange and light-headed but the fever wasn't there. Around 1:00 pm this afternoon I felt a fever coming back and the dizziness starting again so went to take a nap. Right now at 9:43 PM while I'm writing this I still have the dizziness.

I've handled my green BTA before with no issue at all. The rose didn't sting me at all, just coated my hand in slime. I can only guess that I had some type of allergic reaction to whatever it was and am glad at least that it wasn't worse. Usually I wear rubber gloves with gauntlets to the shoulder but I was trying to be gentle and don't have very good sensation in those so I just left them off. (ran out of Nitrile gloves)

So, as many have said before....use gloves and eye protection and wash immediately after messing with the tank. We may think we know what's in there and the water may look crystal but it's not..

Take care and thanks for surviving the post long enough to read this.

"Waterproof does NOT mean SALTPROOF!" ~ Myself
Member of WAMAS (Washington D.C. Area Marine A

Current Tank Info: 38g DT, 20g Fuge, Radion G2, Vortech MP10, Jebao WP25
Fishypapa is offline   Reply With Quote