View Single Post
Unread 02/18/2011, 03:38 PM   #16
clsanchez77
Registered Member

Quote:
I have heard of large tanks being built with fiberglass laminate sheeting, would this be a feasible option on a large tank with a front glass pane?
I have been looking into that also. The tanks is made of plywood and the interior is fiberglassed. I like this route a lot. But by the time you brace the plywood on the exterior, you end up loosing a lot of volume that you would have had you just gone with glass or acrylic, at least from what I can tell. But then I guess that is the sacrifice you make to save on cost.

If I had a large fish room or basement for my tank, I would do it. I could take the risk with a DIY tank and give up some volume for the wood construction. But because my tank will be in my living room and I have 2250 square feet of wood floor on the same floor, I wont take any risks on a DIY display. Additionally, I have very limited footprint for my aquarium and I dont want to loose any gallons to have to build up framing to brace the plywood.

I may do this for my sump and refug, which would be in a fish room I will build outside of my house.

clsanchez77 is offline   Reply With Quote