View Single Post
Unread 12/02/2011, 10:32 PM   #71
00Warpig00
Registered Member

I have 3 gobies in my 180. A pair of Valenciennea Helsdingenii (Black Line Sleeper/Railway Sleeper) Goby and a single Valenciennea Strigata (Yellow Headed Sleeper) Goby. All three sift sand religiously and do a great job of it. NOTE: I do have a FOWLR tank and sometimes all three take a mouth full of sand and then swim up two inches or so and sift. Sometimes I get some sand on my live rock. Not a big deal for me but I have no corals.

As for QT. I QT'd all three (not at the same time first the yellow head, later the pair of Black Lines) in my 20GH with a small amount of sand for them to sift. my tank was set up same as normal QT with 4" PVC but i also put in about half of a 32 oz cup of sand from my DT into the QT. I cannot think of any reason you cannot use a small amount of sand IF your fish are healthy. Mine all were so it was not an issue. made them more comfortable and at home. IF you have to treat them you may not want the sand. I had NO ISSUES, but mine were healthy. after 6 weeks in QT just empty the QT tank and DISCARD the sand.

Provided a fish is healthy... the QT tank functions as Refuge for a fish that has been through allot to get to your house. A place to relax and not worry about other fish chasing it etc while it recovers from the stress it has endured. Also to verify unknown health of a fish. Observation and the fish to get used to you and your feeding schedules. IF not healthy then possibly treating it too. I'd probably remove the sand if I needed to treat the tank, but if there is no need to treat there is no reason I can think of to NOT use a little sand from a known healthy source like your healthy DT.

NOTE: I do not treat a fish of unknown health in my QT as a defacto standard. If I see issues yes, otherwise no. The fish has been through enough... If it is healthy it doesn't need treatment. Just my philosophy. I dont take drugs when I'm not sick either... lol

Nick

Current Tank Info: 180G FOWLR Established 10/2010

Last edited by 00Warpig00; 12/02/2011 at 10:37 PM.
00Warpig00 is offline   Reply With Quote