Thread: low ph
View Single Post
Unread 05/10/2018, 06:39 AM   #13
kevin_e
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohal Tang Tim View Post
Hi Bertoni..thanks...

What do you mean my alk kit will no longer measure my alk properly?
You mean the Marine buffer that raises PH will bugger up my ALK readings?
The only "other" choice seems to be to ventilate and leave the ph be....the problem is that
the animals in there prefer 7.8 and above ph not 7.6....??? I am very much inclined to
raise the ph to 8.3 with that buffer very slowly....I dont quite understand why that is not a good
idea...but I am listening and trying to grasp the concept.... Why exactly is it better to leave
the ph at a failing 7.6 rather then buffer it to 8.3 so easilyusing the Marine Buffer? Thanks for
your help Bertoni...

Pls explain.
Thanks
Tim
Buffers only temporarily raise pH, usually at the expense of water chemistry. It's not really a solution. Furthermore, buffering you water and allowing pH to go from 7.6 to 8.3 regular is detrimental to live stock. pH swings are more detrimental than consistently low pH. pH of 7.6 is low, but you may not have any options at this point. You can still grow coral and have a healthy tank at that pH. I'm very confident that CO2 levels are your issue. If you can't open a window, agitate the surface more. If that doesn't raise pH, you can try using a CO2 scrubbing media like soda lime, but you will need a skimmer to do this. This is also an expensive method to raise pH.

kevin_e is offline   Reply With Quote