View Single Post
Unread 05/02/2012, 02:07 PM   #15
sven.fischer.de
Registered Member

@Jeff

You're right, that light is light - but it's not as simple as this. A Toyoata prius and a PORSCHE 911 are both cars, right? - but everybody know THERE'S a big difference.

T5 has a big spectrum, especially if you like to go down below 400nm (which is a very interesting range for fluorescent color stimulation). If you have a look at the pectrums of T5 you can see usually very tiny spikes. The bad is, that they usually are not really usefull at the point they are - but it's not really very important. What is much more bad is the very fast decrease in color stability over the time, and the intense is getting weak also by the way. LEDs are much more stable in intense and spectrum over much more time. What I really like at T5 is the consistently lightning area - with LED you need a lot of them to get equal results. BUT, you can get very strong spot light with LED if you want - quite impossible with T5.

Yes, I'm a LED follower, but I respect T5 and MH also. They have there advantages and disadvantages. MH is very good at deep tanks >50cm and without competition at >1m depth. Well, who has such frag tanks - no one, right?!

As a hobbiest we like to do DIY and LED is a big field of doing such - I like.

If anyone needs help, just feel free to ask me.

Sven

sven.fischer.de is offline   Reply With Quote