View Single Post
Unread 11/16/2015, 02:01 PM   #2205
mathman7728
Registered Member

i had a very small dino problem and what worked for me is what the latest part of this thread is getting to...

i went dirty (not the clean method) because i think the tank was too clean (too much skimming and not enough feeding). i changed skimming to relatively dry and the skimmer is only on from 8pm till 6am instead of all day. i feed at least 3x day mostly frozen (the fish love it and their coloration is excellent) but some "finicky fish" formula sinking pellets. orgiinally i did add a new round of pods and phyo but havent done that since. in the beginning, i did have a cyno (red color mostly and on the sand) that i did treat with chemiclean at the beginning (there is some discussion of how dinos and cyno are linked so i wanted to nuke the cyno). i did NOT have any problems with the chemiclean and my corals, inverts, etc. i would use it again if needed. i also had turf style algae that nothing would eat. my apporach to the visable turf algae and dinos (on the rocks) was to actually remove the rock, apply bleach to the specific area on the rock (used a pipit to direct the bleach where i wanted it), scrubed the turf algea with a brush dipped in bleach and then replaced the rock. that was months ago and no sign of turf in the DT (though i see it in the sump) or dinos anywhere. i get plently of green and brown algae on the glass.

go dirty method my friend, kill any cyno if you have it, add as much different micro fauna as you can find, cut back on skimming and feed lots.

mathman7728 is offline   Reply With Quote