View Single Post
Unread 11/20/2015, 10:53 AM   #2212
Billybatz9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet_Ivy View Post
Sorry I've been awol, elderly relative needed a bionic replacement. I've been away from my tank and unfortunately N and P completely crashed -I'm getting 0 phos with the Hanna checker, which is nonsensical. Dinos are actually killing off the cyano, I can see them encroaching on the patches daily. My poor rescued conch died, probably because the sandbed has gone toxic. Grrr! I'm out of phyto too, really should be culturing it. I really may need to add a 3rd fish.

@jason2459 It sounds to me like your tank is very stable, mature, and has good biodiversity..that's why it can fight off the dinos. The food dump probably started a mini cycle, but your tank is resilient so you saw normal algae succession and the dinos lost. I certainly wouldn't mess with a system that is working so well. Those of us using the 'dirty method' are actually trying to replicate your tank.

BTW I think you're only the 2nd reefer I've heard using an RUGF. I had freshwater tanks as a kid but we used hob biowheels.

@Billybatz Gosh no dude. The idea behind the dirty method is to make conditions good for green algae, which will grow happily and faster than the dinos, which will die out. If you're not seeing green algae, but you are seeing dinos, hang tough.

Glad to see some of the regulars' tanks recovering tho!
ivy
I actually just tested all my params.
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
Ammonia 0.5ppm

Still think I should avoid water change?

Billybatz9 is offline   Reply With Quote