View Single Post
Unread 12/05/2007, 06:07 PM   #1
kenargo
Premium Member

AC3 Best practices

After reading some recent threads I thought that this may be appropriate; a collection of best practices to ensure a health and happy tank.

I'll start with a few that I use:

Rule: Program with failure in mind - You should avoid code with open ended conditions

Bad:
If Temp > 80 Then COL ON
If Temp < 77 Then COL OFF

Better:
If Temp > 80 Then COL ON
If Temp > 84 Then COL OFF // Something may be wrong
If Temp > 83 Then ALM ON // Notify me
If Temp < 77 Then COL OFF

Reason and Fix: When a condition is open ended then the sky is the limit on the damage that can be caused. Since, under most conditions a tank should not get so out-of-wack that readings are off-the-scale of what would be reasonable add code to handle the unexpected (e.g., if you keep your tank between 75-77 then it would be VERY unlikley that the temp would ever reach < 72 or > 80 so code as such. Add code to handle the unexpected; (using the above example) if the temp > 80 then it may be more likley that something has failed, shutting down things may be the best solution and let the human figure it out.

Rule: Adjust heaters/chillers (if adjustment is possible) to have a threshold slightly more/less than the AC3.

Reason and Fix: If a timer gets stuck in the ON state then the device may be able to assist in keping the tank under critical conditions. A stuck heater, set slightly above AC3 setpoint is less likley to cause a problem than a heater set to 90 and stuck on.

Rule: Use an alarm timer

Reason: An alarm is active notification; something gets turned on (a buzzer, a light, email, pager, etc). An alarm gives that tank an ability to yelling when something may not be quite right.

Please add the things that you do to protect from tank meltdown!

kenargo is offline   Reply With Quote