View Single Post
Unread 07/30/2012, 06:22 AM   #16
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Bottles View Post
I'm planning on starting to stock a 100 gallon aquarium. I'm going to be buying fish for around a year. If I use a permanent qt will I have to wait an additional 28 days between fish to ensure that I won't transmit ich to new arrivals? Or can I add a fish to dt the day before I get a new one in the qt? I don't want to dose copper continuosly over a year, but I don't want to do daily water changes for a year either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJunkie View Post
I keep hearing varying opinions on how long to qt fish. My lfs says a week, and I've heard up to six weeks. Right now I'm kind of settled on two. Is that enough? I'm treating with maracyn right now. At the end of that will they be ok to go into the dt?
in observation mode QT again ich has always been in weeks (not days). recently on RC we been promoting 9 weeks to be quite sure not to bring ich to main. 2-3 weeks is hardly enough in QT against ich.
Cooper medications like cupramine itself call for 2 weeks at max(0.5ml/l) strength in a QT.
If your QT is setup for observation only (no medications) then 9 weeks is ur answer. If you QT is setup for meds involving cooper then that time is cut in little over half. I strongly recommend minimum of 6 weeks (2 week with copper then 4 without)to be sure even in a medicated QT.
Btw maracyn is an broad spectrum antibiotic which will not cure/prevent ich.
There are only 3 known methods against ich.
1. hypo-salinity
2. cooper
3. tank transfer
i have yet to find any other meds that are good against ich. lots of products claim to be reef safe and cure for ich, my recommendation is stop wasting time and money in such only adopt 1 of the 3 above.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE

Last edited by bnumair; 07/30/2012 at 06:35 AM.
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote