View Single Post
Unread 12/04/2003, 01:15 PM   #120
JHardman
Premium Member

Re: Tomato Clowns

Quote:
Originally posted by miareefer
So what happened to the previous pair well the larger fish which i thought was female has paired up with the godzilla tomatoe they share there anenomes and i have seen them kissing and chomping on the rocks within 2 weeks off introduction . So the origanal male hasnt given up so easy the poor fellow has been knocked about a bit but refuses to surrender and leave that end off the tank he is constantly harrased but just simply refuses to leave. Ime going to remove him asap but was hoping that they would sort it out so ime askin what behavior is this when the 2 largest fish are pairing up
is it normal for 2 females to do this if they are females. Or could my previous bigger fish been male all along i have no idea some very strange behaviour indeed.
Thanks JHardman
The "kissing" you are referring to I assume is jaw locking a classic indicator of two females. It is not unheard of for two female to "pair up" and actually produce infertile nests, rare but not unheard of. Dr Hoff documents a case like this in his book on breeding. It sounds like your male is trying to service both females, again something that is not unheard of.

JHardman is offline   Reply With Quote